Colindale Area Guide
Colindale is a modern and up and coming area of London, with lots of things to do and see. It boasts great connectivity to Central London, has many places of interest alongside eating and drinking options, and it is home to The Stay Club Colindale. The area is a great option for students who are searching for spacious and affordable studios. Especially if looking for something with proximity to Middlesex University. This guide serves as an introduction to the area and all it has to offer!
Where is Colindale?
Colindale is located in the north-western part of London, within the London Borough of Barnet. It is serviced by Colindale tube station, which lies on the Northern Line. The Northern line passes through many key areas of Central London (which you can find in the dedicated section about transport links below). The area’s development mostly began in the end of the 19th century, and Colindale is well-known for its ties with the Royal Air Force’s evolution. The RAF Museum now sits where the old Hendon aerodrome used to be. There are many things to do and see in and around Colindale, so let’s dive into them!
Colindale Transport Links
Colindale benefits from a variety of bus routes, most of which run through Colindale tube station, or nearby Edgware Road. The tube station (situated under a minute from The Stay Club Colindale’s entrance), sits on the Northern Line, which passes through many of the city’s most central destinations easily. Chalk Farm and Camden Town are under 20 minutes on the tube, while King’s Cross (and close-by St. Pancras International train station) are a just a few stops further.
The Northern Line splits into the Bank branch and the Charing Cross branch, to offer even more destinations in the heart of the city. Depending on which branch you choose to take, you will find yourself walking around beautiful Angel, exploring artsy Shoreditch, or uncovering shops and eateries in Tottenham Court Road and Leicester Square. All in all, Colindale is a great pick if you are looking for an area away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, still having it within easy reach.
Colindale Health Care
Health care should always be a priority when looking for the best area to live in, so we have gone through some basics to support you during your research:
– GP: There is a number of Colindale GP practises, most of which are a walk of less than 20 minutes from the accommodation. This easy to use NHS Service Search allows you to find the options that are available to you!
– Dentist: Caring after your smile is important and living in Colindale guarantees you are always close to a number of dentists that can cover your needs. Colindale Dental Practise is only a five-minute walk from The Stay Club Colindale, while Beaufort Dental Clinic (next to Beaufort Park Colindale) and Corner House Dental are also easily approachable on foot. For more on finding a Colindale dentist, you can always review this link.
– Optician: Curious where you will find an optician to visit if need be? Boots and Asda Opticians are both under 15 minutes walking distance from our accommodation, but you can go through the full list of local opticians here.
– Pharmacies: Benefit from a number of options when you are looking for a pharmacy – there are four chemists located under 15 minutes on foot from our accommodation, with McParland Pharmacies being the closest.
Shopping in Colindale
Regardless if you are looking for a variety of places to pick up groceries, or a shopping mall offering a variety of stores, Colindale and its surrounding areas have you covered. Moments away from The Stay Club Colindale there are two supermarkets that can accommodate both your daily groceries, as well as any last-minute needs. There is also a superstore in the local area for when you want more of a choice, and a Chinese supermarket next to it as well. TNQ Colindale also hosts a couple of interesting supermarket chains, and If you are looking for a shopping destination that includes anything from clothing brands to homeware, then nearby Brent Cross Shopping Centre is a great option. It’s a short tube ride away, but has over 100 shops to browse through!
Things to Do in Colindale
From a museum outing, all the way to lush green spaces, there are plenty to see and do in and around the area.
– Colindale Park: this one is just opposite the Colindale tube station, and it is a great option to take a stroll and destress or if you are a keen jogger.
– Rushgrove Park: as far as weekend outings are concerned, Rushgrove Park treats guests to a wonderful green space. It also has tennis and basketball courts if you are looking to organise a sports match, and some enjoyable walking paths to make the most of.
– Royal Air Force Museum: The RAF Museum is one of Colindale’s most well-known destinations, with good reason. The museum is housed on the former Hendon aerodrome, and its selection of exhibits makes for an intriguing visit.
Food and Drink in Colindale
If your ideal area has a number of eating and drinking options available at your doorstep, then Colindale may be the way to go! You will find a number of restaurants, cafes and bars to enjoy spread out across Colindale, and some of the area’s highlights can be found below.
Student life needs to be filled with flavour, and what better way to do precisely that, than live in an area with lots of eateries? Just opposite The Stay Club Colindale you will find Spaccanapoli, an Italian restaurant with a menu that centres around pasta and pizza, cooked in Neapolitan style. The restaurant also has a cool discount for our residents, which you can find in our long list of partnerships. On Charcot Road you will also find Mibento Taiwanese Café, offering daily fresh meal options among fixed menu classics. The area also hosts a local Taco Bell, where you can grab quesadillas and tacos to power up between your research sessions, also with a discount when flashing your Stay Club key card.
If you are keener towards places that sport great coffee, pastries and the like, Colindale has you covered. ITJL is one of the area’s local hangouts, offering great coffee and some delicious brunch options. You can also benefit from a cool discount with key card! Costa Coffee is also available for a coffee on the go, or a quick hot desking session, among other cosy spaces to enjoy, including our own café on the 7th floor (which also boasts a great roof terrace overlooking the area).
Student life wouldn’t be the same without your local pubs to head to after you have wrapped up your studying, or when catching up with friends! Colindale has a number of them, from traditional Chandos Arms to the Beaufort Pub with its open space to soak in those sunrays during warmer days. If you want to find out more about the pubs and bars scene of North London, though, then our best pubs and bars in North West London guide might be just what you were looking for!
Colindale strikes a great balance in between the hustle and bustle of the city centre, and the convenience of a modern neighbourhood. There is no shortage of cafes, eateries and pubs in the area, while students are likely to find something to accommodate the majority of your day to day needs. The combination of the area with The Stay Club Colindale’s innovative social spaces (yes, we are talking disco, cinema and terrace) and spacious studio options is a great pick for student living. Discover the accommodation now.
Related – Colindale Area Guide for Students
Away from the hustle and bustle of the city’s centre, but maintaining great connectivity, Colindale has everything from supermarkets to help you make the most of your studio’s kitchenette, to parks and eateries for your weekends. You will also find some of The Stay Club’s partners so you can enjoy meals and stay on a student budget.